Garmin manufactures the industry’s best GPS device. It makes different types of GPS devices for all types of vehicles and purpose. Garmin makes GPS devices for cars, motorcycles, trucks, RVs, marine and aviation industry.
When you purchase a Garmin GPS then you become worry-free while driving. You don’t have to think about random things which can disrupt your commute or travel.
The live services which you’ll get when you connect your device with the phone will take care of weather updates, traffic jams, speed changes, speed camera, other incidents which can prove to be a hindrance during driving.
Garmin upgrade and GPS map update are provided by the company to make the navigation even more efficient and intuitive. There is a slight confusion between the Garmin upgrade and GPS map update. This article is going to resolve those issues.
GPS Map Update:
As a GPS device user, you might know that a GPS device is fully dependent on the maps and software installed in the device. Without those, a GPS device is just a useless box.
When a user buys a new Garmin GPS device, it also comes preinstalled with some default maps and services. The services include free map update, speed camera alerts, live weather and much more.
GPS map update is released by the company every quarter to keep all the GPS device users updated with all the changes going around the region.
There are two types of map updates, one which is free and the other one that is paid.
- Free GPS map update: When you buy a GPS device, then you will be eligible for some free map updates. These free map updates are for some period of time as well as for a lifetime.
- Fixed Updates: The fixed updates are free for a period of time like 2 years or 3 years.
- Lifetime Map updates: The lifetime map updates are free for the eligible working life of the device.
Meaning of Lifetime Map updates for Garmin:
A product’s “useful life” means the time period for which the “device” has:
1) Sufficient memory capacity
2) Other hardware and required technical capabilities so that the device can use the latest map and data
3) The GPS device will be considered ineligible for the map update if it has not been updated for the last 24 months either for the maps or software.
The services can be upgraded for the device whenever the user needs the services. Suppose, someone has the default maps of the US and they want to travel to Canada, then they can upgrade the map as well as services like live traffic, speed cameras etc.
Some points to ponder before trying to update the device:
a) Before trying to update the device, please check the available memory storage on the device. If your device does not have sufficient memory and you will try to update the device then it wouldn’t happen.
If your device supports an external SD card, then you can download the updates on the SD card as well.
We hope that this article has cleared some of the confusions regarding the Garmin upgrade and update. If you have any further query then you can visit the website.